Re: SSup: install mailing list

From: glen e. p. ropella
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:28:03 -0700

Ginger Booth writes:
 > I'd love an "install" mailing list, and to be unsubscribed to it.  It's been
 > assumed those of us who've installed Swarm, know how/can/want to help.  But
 > there are those of us who been there/did that/blissfully forgotten/do as
 > little
 > neepery as necessary for salary continuance.  With the new binary Swarms,
 > I fully intend to know even less.  I'd rather help the guy who compiles it
 > for HPUX, and forget all the rest. ;)

Well, that's what swarm-support is for.  I intended swarm-support
for installation problems, bug reports, and feature usage.  Then
swarm-modelling will take the higher issues like "what a parameter
manager should do."

Are you saying that you want yet another list just for installation?
Or are you saying we should draw the line between installation and
everything else?  If the latter is the case, then the line between
the two lists will be blurred because it's sometimes hard to tell
the difference between a bug in the software and a bad installation.

Plus, if we put feature usage in the "modelling" category, then that
list will still have "arcane" posts that contain source code and stack
traces.

But, then, if we have three lists: install, support, & modelling, it
seems like the lines won't be drawn well enough and cross-posting,
atrophy, and/or lots of questions starting with "I'm not sure if
this is the right place, but...." will occur.

Which is better?

glen