Re: Simulation frameworks in C++?

From: Manor Askenazi
Subject: Re: Simulation frameworks in C++?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:39:14 -0600

> I'm still curious about the possibilities of using threads as an
> alternative to schedules or while loops. Yet another topic, I guess.

It may be the case that most schedules will be quite simple, and require
only one or two locks, but I really believe that in principle this is a
very hard thing to do, certainly its difficult for non-comp-sci people.

However, there is a compromise in the air, i.e. express the actions in a
centralised data structure a la schedules, but thread its execution (where
this is allowed). Such an approach would have the benefit of clarity, and
explicit representation, but also has presumably a large run-time benefit.

BTW... I think that thanks to the Garbage Collection that comes with Java,
the developpers will be able to spend some time looking into this (which
is currently spent looking at stuff like memory leaks and so forth)! After
all, theoretically this approach is feasible in ObjC-Swarm, its just that
the language is full of other details one has to worry about...

Manor.