Re: Using Linux

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Using Linux
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:45:09 -0600

> I've tried to install swarm on a shared unix account but couldn't create
> the shared libraries because I'm not allowed access.
> As an alternative I'm considering using Linux on my PC.  I'm really rather
> naive about such things.  Does anyone have nay major advice about using
> linux.  What version etc is best for swarm.
>
> I'd be really grateful for any advice which is offered.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Alan Hern

What do you mean "shared unix account?"  Do you have
space on the disk of the account?  If you do (which I
assume you must if you put the tar.gz file there in the
first place), then you can create everything you need
in your local directory tree.  I.e. you don't have to
install anything in the standard /usr/.... directories
to make it work.  (If you have to install everything
(gcc, tcl/tk, etc.), however, you'll end up taking up
ALOT of disk space.)

But, of course, moving to Linux is the best solution
because you'll get complete control over *everything!*

Major advice?  Buy a CD with one or more of the popular
distributions on it (Redhat, Slackware, FT, etc.).
Follow the instructions.  You'll have a working Linux
system pretty quickly, that way.  (If you buy a cd, try
to use one of the distributers that kicks money back to
the developers, like Walnut Creek CDRom
url=http://www.cdrom.com  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com)

Any other advice?  Read the Linux HOWTO(s).
(ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux, I think)  They'll tell
you more than you ever wanted to know.

Let me know how it goes.
glen

|glen e. p. ropella (address@hidden) |                                  |
|Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            |
|www.santafe.edu/~gepr/home.html       |                                  |