FAQ entries, install lore sought

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: FAQ entries, install lore sought
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 02:02:01 -0600

We're getting pretty close to having a public beta release. As part of
the preparation I'm starting up a Swarm FAQ, a document that collects
common lore. Current sections are "Compiling Trouble", "Running
Trouble", and "How Do I..."

I'm interested in any submissions - either a question you think will
be frequently asked, or (even better) a question with an answer.

I'd also like to collect some information on Swarm on various
operating systems for the install documentation. I only know about
SunOS 4.1.x and Linux: if you're running Swarm on something else,
could you please send me some email telling me what OS you're running?
If there are any OS-specific tips you'd like me to add to the docs,
I'd be happy to.

Here's the two FAQ entries I have:

make isn't doing the right thing
      Be sure that you are running GNU make: other versions of make
      will fail in unpredictable ways. You can check if your make is
      GNU make by running make --version.

When I start any Objective C program on my Linux machine, I get a
floating point exception.
      This is a bizarre bug in Linux libc-5.0.9. The quick fix is to
      hide the problem by linking all Objective C programs with -lieee
      (in Swarm, set OTHERLIBS in Makefile.conf to -lieee).
      Alternatively, upgrade to libc-5.2.18 or newer.