input wanted: directory structure

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: input wanted: directory structure
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:18:26 -0700

I'm in the midst of changing around the Swarm directory structure a
little bit. The biggest change is that the applications will now be
packaged independent of the libraries. It's proven too difficult to
keep all the apps we have up to date with the libraries, so it makes
more sense to distribute them individually so you know how current any
particular app is.

Part of the goal here is to make it easier for you to use your own
libraries, either ones you write yourself or ones you borrow from
others. Same thing with applications.

As part of that, the list of Swarm libraries that you link with by
default will be reduced from "all of them" to just the required ones:
  defobj, collections, random, tkobjc, swarmobject, activity, simtools
if you're using ga, neuro, or space you'll have to add an extra line
in your Makefile for your app to use them. (Eventually, tkobjc will be
removed from the list of required libraries, and we might package up
all the required libs as "libswarm.a")

The new directory structure looks like this:

swarm
    bin
    lib
    include
    src
        defobj
        collections
        random
        tkobjc
        swarmobject
        activity
        ga
        neuro
        simtools
        space

(the swarmlibs,support dichotomy has been removed, as it doesn't
really make any sense anymore).

If you unpack an application, say "heatbugs.tar.gz", you get this:

heatbugs
    Makefile
    main.m

with Makefile set up so that SWARMHOME is ../swarm. Ie, it expects
that you unpack heatbugs in the same directory that contains the swarm
root.

Does that seem reasonable?