swarm-modeling

Re: Fw: [Swarm-Modelling] GEPR on life-cycle requirements

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Fw: [Swarm-Modelling] GEPR on life-cycle requirements
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:48:46 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
Well, just because some feature doesn't currently exist doesn't mean
it's not a basic or essential requirement.
I'm glad to discuss this topic, but honestly, if it were essential to doing ABM at all, then people couldn't do ABM at all yet they do! There are many ABM toolkits that have been around a long time, and that we'd have to struggle to articulate the requirement strongly suggests that "basic requirement" is not the right way to think about this. What we are talking about is a better methodology or theory for ABM agent or collective transformations. And better methodology is more than enough reason to proceed.
We've seen a great deal of
progress in this direction already.  The ABM tools out there already
satisfy the object evolution requirement to _some_ extent.  But, we
don't know to _what_ extent.  That's why it would be nice to see some
people chime in about how well various tools meet the requirement (if,
indeed, others think its a requirement).
Change it to "The ABM tools out there already can simulate object evolution to _some_ extent", and I'm happy to move on.

I wrote:
Left to determine is whether the absence of a language for describing agents which are superpositions of many agents is not well handled using a very general superclass, or perhaps generics, as would be done in most object oriented toolkits. And if so, what would be better.
but Glen only quoted:
After that is determined, then in this waterfall model of software
development, we can move on to questions of design.

You seem to believe that the whole community is involved or in agreement
with your leap to a conclusion.  I disagree.  I'd like to hear what
others have to say before we short circuit the discussion.

I'm not leaping to any conclusions. I'm more than happy to refine or generalize the definition of object evolution. Feel free to address the proposition I made rather than making public guesses about my assumptions. I did leave it open as "And if so, what would be better". It seems to me the predicate I proposed, if too fragile, can be refined or generalized as well. I do prefer to be concrete if at all possible.