swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] newbie question

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] newbie question
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:37:17 -0500

alex dinovitser wrote:

My main question regarding SWARM, is; How suitable is it for these less
ambitious applications where there is a small number of simple agents
(entities) and only a few types of agents, each with a fixed set of attributes
that get re-calculated during every interaction, with results fed to a simple
2D animation as the model runs???

Setting aside beliefs about how to do modeling, Swarm as a simulation tool is quite capable. In a way it is almost too capable because it just provides APIs to handle the mechanics of running discrete-event simulations as well as some basic auxiliary APIs for pseudo-random number generation and distributions, managing lists(collections), and graphical display. Everything else is left to you, but you have Objective-C, an object-oriented language that is a superset of C. Unlike, other simulation packages, it doesn't provide builtin entities or process that you can just pick and use. At the same time, Swarm does not force a world view (I just learned these terms ;-) upon you; implement your simulation using a process-oriented, activity-oriented, or event-oriented paradigm and even feel free to mix/match these.

Whether it is suitable is more difficult to answer because it depends how you measure suitability. The usability factor of Swarm is not very high; I think you need to be a decent programmer to be productive with it, and primarily you should have a good concept of object-oriented programming. You use the object-oriented features of Objective-C to implement your agents, entities, processes, events, etc. of your model.

cheers
Scott