swarm-modeling

hey swarmfesters

From: schristley
Subject: hey swarmfesters
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:38:20 -0700

Hello All,

I wanted to say how enjoyable it was to attend this year's Swarmfest; I saw many old friends and discovered some new ones as well. I passed out a couple business cards, and I realized when I got back that the email address on those cards is old; I think email will bounce if you send to it. Use this account, address@hidden, and it will work much better :-)

During the banter session, I mentioned a book that I had read (partially) about a theory linking quantum mechanics and consciousness; I couldn't remember the name/author at the time, so here it is if you are interested.

'Information Theory and Quantum Physics, Physical Foundations for Understanding the Conscious Process" by Herbert S. Green published by Springer-Verlag 2000.

The book is very heavy on the physics which I was not able to follow at times, so much so that it is easy to get lost. The book covers so much that I do not think I could give a decent overview in a short email; he touches areas from string theory to gravity to show you can think of them in information theoretic terms, and all the sections are mathematically rigorous. Though his prose sections are well written and quite readable.

One of the interesting notions that I got out of the book is that the act of observation or measurement of a quantum variable, which by its quantum nature is indeterminate, forces the variable to take an actual value; this is in essence the creation of new information. His definition of consciousness is a synthesis of awareness and volition, where awareness is the acquisition of information, and volition is the creation of new information.

What makes the book not become a fanciful mash of quantum physics and biology is his use of information theory; specifically he shows that Shannon's classical definition of information holds true with quantum bits (qubits), defines quantal 'tapes' which are equivalent to the tape in Turing's machine, and states that the fluctuating potentials in the electrolytic fluid of the cortex can be regarded as a tape in a quantal Turing machine.

"The quantal effects are in the microscopic channels that are known to permeate the unmyelinated cells of the grey matter of the cortex."

After reviewing it again, I notice that it is more a discussion of how physics can be thought of in information theoretic terms then it is an actual book about consciousness, so I don't suggest rushing out and buying it. If you are interested in more specifics, send me a private email.

As what usually happens, after going to Swarmfest, I get all types of ideas on models that I should try to implement. My current interest is modeling the software development process, so look for some emails about that in the future. I'm currently thinking about how I can describe the interactions between agents in a simple way. I don't want to code in the known parts of the process (requirements, design, implementation, etc) as implicit in the model; instead I want to see if the agents can organize themselves into the process; i.e. what "outside" factors cause these patterns of behaviour to occur.

cheers
Scott Christley

  body of the message.