swarm-modeling

RE: Diffusion models

From: erols
Subject: RE: Diffusion models
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:02:29 -0700

Hi Cristina,

> Someone of you have implemented models of technology
> diffusion by SWARM?

Here at the Tucson Institute, we are developing, with some success, a
predictive economic model for full lifecycle innovation. Within that model
is a model for predicting the rate of internal and external technology
diffusion.

Our next step is to develop a simulation in Swarm. We are using a pure Java
version of Swarm though. As we create the model, we will compare its results
with hundreds of studies and make adjustments to the model.

Our primary purpose for the research is to help validate several hypotheses
related to engineering innovation environments to increase the rate of
innovation within science and industry. We plan to use Swarm to help
validate a set of claims and then compare the results to four environments
under study.

We are also curious of how our peers in this specific area of innovation
acceleration studies will respond to the use of Swarm.

A classic work is by Everett Rogers, Diffusion of Innovations, 1983. Our
work is influenced by Richard Nelson and Sidney Winter - An Evolutionary
Theory of Economic Change, 1982.

Edward Swanstrom
Tucson Institute
Innovation Acceleration Research Group