swarm-modeling

Re: Anyone want to work on updating ASM with me?

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Anyone want to work on updating ASM with me?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 10:43:23 -0500

I'm on this like white on rice.

It appears most of the important changes are different default parameter
settings and some commented-out graphics that were superfluous for this
edition and its agents.  The dynamic behavior of the model with the new
default settings is surprisingly different.

Anyway, I've got ASM rewritten to use Swarm's random number regime. That
was step one.

Malloc/calloc get the boot next.

If somebody will give me some straight info on whether to aim at using
Breeder or GM as a GA library to replace the built-in setup, I'd
appreciate it.

Here's a surprising make error with the ASM edition that was released
yesterday.

The ASMBatchSwarm.h file has a new import

#import <activity/Schedule.h>

And that leads to a build error because I don't have the swarm-kaffe
installed on this one machine.

gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Werror  -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DAPPNAME=asm     -I/usr/include/swarm ASMBatchSwarm.m
In file included from /usr/include/swarm/activity/Action.h:19,
                 from /usr/include/swarm/activity/Schedule.h:14,
                 from ASMBatchSwarm.h:6,
                 from ASMBatchSwarm.m:1:
/usr/include/swarm/defobj/directory.h:23: jni.h: No such file or
directory
make: *** [ASMBatchSwarm.o] Error 1

The import is not necessary and the build is OK, but I was
surprised/intrigued by this one.

pj

ps, did you know the Netscape spellcheck suggests that one ought to
correct "gcc" by replacing it with "gucci"?  We ought to seriously
consider contacting the powers that be at FSF to find out if they could
change the official pronunciation of it to "gucci".  If "netscape" is
pronounced "mozilla", why not?

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn