swarm-modeling

majority rule and repeatingHeatbugsParameter now in anarchy

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: majority rule and repeatingHeatbugsParameter now in anarchy
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:07:09 -0600

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Swarm.

I just uploaded these to swarm's incoming ftp 2 super cool apps that
everybody will want to try.  Both of these compile cleanly and run
against the ultra-newest swarm.

majority-2.0.1x.tar.gz
repeatingHeatbugsParameter-2.0.1x.t

I expect these will show up in anarchy sometime, and you can also get
them from my page (address in signature).
Here is the sales pitch

1. majorityRule is a "clean" app, meaning it is relatively simple in
design, but it has some cool features that can be changed and explored,
as explained in the README.  This one should be good for people who are
swarm beginners who have read through the tutorial and don't know what
to do next. This illustrates the use of some c preprocessor directives
for conditional compilation.

2. repeatingHeatbugsParameter is, in my humble opinion, the PROTOTYPE
FOR ALL SWARMAPPS :)  It allows you to repeatedly run heatbugs, explore
changes in the parameters, without restarting the model.  WHen it
starts, you see one control panel, and when you hit "next", then another
control panel pops up and a simulation begins. You can stop and start
it.  Not only does this app show how you can get the "restart" effect,
it also shows the use of a Parameter manager object.  I have been
persuaded by studying Rick Riolo's swarm examples in his page at UM that
a separate parameter manager class is a great idea, and it turns out to
be vital to the success of the repeating heatbugs.  The parameter class
is a "permanent" class, it lasts "forever" in the simulation, and when
new observer swarms and model swarms are generated, they get parameters
from the parameter object.  There is a fairly thorough README file.

   body of the message.