swarm-modeling

Re: Landscape ecology

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: Landscape ecology
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 11:42:10 -0400

Hi Glen,

You may be aware of this already, but the SFI/UofAriz/Brookings Artificial
Anasazi project has something of a landscape ecology component -- in our case,
the ecology is basically historical (not simulated), with artificial 'human'
agents acting upon it. There's an SFI working paper, as well as a chapter in a
volume coming out RSN from Oxford University Press. _Dynamics of Human and
Primate Societies_, with agent modeling work including Tim Kohler's using
Swarm. You can download a Java implementation of our Long House Valley model at
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape (its the edu.brook.aa.LHV model.)

There were also a number of people doing agent based ecology work at the GIS
workshop before last year's SwarmFest (if I have my meetings straight!)
Apparantly there has been a fair amount of "pre-agent" modelling that seems to
have a strong CA flavor in ecology for the last twenty years or so. (In fact, I
think Lou's the one who told me about it.)  It does seem like a very natural
fit, of course.

-Miles

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

   body of the message.