swarm-modeling

Re: Insect and human organizations

From: David Sumpter
Subject: Re: Insect and human organizations
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:20:35 GMT

"Tony Bigbee" writes:
>Hi - If you saw my question on the Swarm modeling list and were deliberately
>not answering then I apologize for
>contacting you.
>
>I'm interested in your intuition about why insect organizations can't help us
>with designing self-organizing
>manufacturing processes.  Would you mind elaborating?  How do you see this as
>different from social insect
>dynamics informing human organization design?

>Your ref to Seeley's Wisdom of the Hive will definitely come in handy.  I
>appreciate you posting it.

Sorry, I don't remeber getting your email to swarm-modelling. So I'll try and
answer the question now.

Its not that I think the study of self-organisation in social insects is
completely useless when thinking about how to design a good human organization.
I just feel that direct analogies don't apply. i.e. when thinking about a
particular organisational problem, it is unlikely that it would be useful to
see
how the bees or ants handle something similar and apply this technique.

People in the social insect community try to get funding from industry on the
basis that they will be able to advise them on better work practices. I'm not
sure if these collaborations work out but I doubt that there are any direct
benefits. I know in my case I'm sponsored by the Defence Research Agency and I
doubt they will be getting any direct advice about how to organise troop
movements! Alot is made of Brittish Telecom's virtual ants which search for the
best route round a telephone network but this is an example of someone at BT
knowing about self-organisation as a principle rather than relying on any real
biology.

I do believe that there are benefits of taking a self-organisation type
approach
to organising (or not organising!) humans. The general study of organisations
and the maths and computer models of them should provide insights into both
human and insect societies. It is creating the techniques to discuss abstract
properties of a society which both social insect people and manufacturing
people
have an interest in. And yes, if someone who studies bees comes up with an
abstract technique for investigating links between individuals in the hive then
manufacturing people would do well to look at it. But this isn't generally what
happens. To this end I think that the joint reserch between biologists and
engineers should be into tools such as Swarm and mathematical techniques.

These points may be obvious but I am sometimes frustrated by people taking
analogies too far when I think there could be real benefits if researchers on
both sides stepped back from the problems a bit more and thought about what
tools and techniques they both need. But then I am a mathematician and a
computer scientist so I would say all this!

David.

David J.T. Sumpter
Mathematics Department, UMIST, P.O. Box 88, Manchester, M60 1QD

http://www.ma.umist.ac.uk/dsumpter/beesim/index.html

   body of the message.