swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] Re: Swarm, Heatbugs, and forEach loops...

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Re: Swarm, Heatbugs, and forEach loops...
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:36:35 +1100

On 11/11/2009, at 1:13 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> This issue illustrates the fundamental question of how can Swarm support both
> its internal collections classes as well as the OpenStep collections at the
> same time.  I don't have a good answer for this.
> A third idea is to change the Swarm's List class to actually be implemented
> by an NSArray underneath.  Then programs using List will actually be using
> NSArray without knowing it.  Then additional methods would be added to the
> NSArray class so that it responds to List methods.  Then they could be used
> interchangeably.
>
> The last idea is probably the least intrusive but still might have quite a
> few challenges to make work correctly.

I am sort of not keen to mix OpenStep and Swarm Objective-C variants.  I think
models and modellers need to stick with Swarm style.  A MacOS X GUI might be
implemented in Cocoa, but having different implementations of the core
simulation libraries with or without openstep leeds to a nasty can of worms.
Also why bother?

Again I see the comparison with R and its core functional programming library
written in C but addons and GUIs using a multitude of APIs.

Bill