swarm-gis

request to list, RE: GIS and Swarm (the time has come)

From: Paul Box
Subject: request to list, RE: GIS and Swarm (the time has come)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:45:27 -0600

We have had a discussion list, swarm-gis, that was formed at the same
time as swarm-support and swarm-modeling, though that  list has had
very little traffic.  There has always been interest in GIS and swarm, but for
whatever reason we have not had that ciritical mass yet.

I have some routines that will import arc/info grid export files into grid2d
objects as well as write simulation results to the same format, and Jim
Westervelt wrote something similar that imports and exports grass layers
to grid2d.

I now have promised 6 people that I will give them versions of what I wrote
"sometime this fall", and I will be happy to send the same to you.  If we
can get this cleaned up, I will place it on swarm's contributed software
site.   This is entirely a volunteer effort, which means that we rarely stick
timetables.

That said, I really want to have some releasable swarm-gis code.  I will
need some help with this.  I have finally (last week) overcame one of the
major time sinks in my schedule, and now have some time that I can
work on this.

So, now is the time to get this going again.  I am subscribed to swarm-
gis, and know that there's little traffic there.  Would those who would like
help me with this, subscribe to swarm-gis, and we'll move the discussion
there.

>===== Original Message From Li An <address@hidden> =====
>Thanks. Can Swarm work with Arc/Info data directly without converting
data
>to matrix format? There should be a study group with focus on the
>integration of GIS and Swarm--anyone knows where it is? Thanks a lot.
Li

address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

// Paul Box
// Aquatic, Watershed, and Earth Resources
// Utah State University

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration