summer-of-code

Re: Regarding GSoc 2016

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: Regarding GSoc 2016
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 20:14:28 +0100

GNU is a great project and also a good choice for GSoC projects. But
please note, that it is an umbrella organization with many projects
inside, each coming with a list of ideas. So feel free to look around
and find something that attracts your attention - your heart should burn
for the project you choose. It is up to you to come up with a proposal
and discuss it with potential mentors from the projects and/or here on
the list. The ideas list might help you to initiate something and start
a discussion.

The mentors for sure are there to help you, but we expect more from you
than just say: "I am generally interested". This directly shifts you
into the light of "I want to get some money from google for doing
nothing", try to avoid that. Not knowing how mailinglists work is
excusable but rejecting to read the ideas page and selecting something
from there is probably not...

You have introduced yourself, now tell us what you want to do and how
you want to do it.

Hoping to read more from you soon,
Rapha