summer-of-code

Re: GSoC 2015: VMFlexArray for OpenJDK / IcedTea

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: GSoC 2015: VMFlexArray for OpenJDK / IcedTea
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:48:20 +0100

On Sat, 2015-02-21 at 16:41 +0100, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
>     > 2015-02-21 14:16 GMT+01:00 Jose E. Marchesi <address@hidden>:
>     > >
>     > >     >     I would like to volunteer as a mentor for the following
> project topic
>     > >     >     under the umbrella of the GNU Project.
>     > >     >
>     > >     >     Proposed Topic: VMFlexArray PatchSet for OpenJDK (IcedTea)
>     > >     >
>     > >     > I take it this would be done as part of the GNU Classpath
> project,
>     > >     > right?
>
>     Most of the GNU Classpath hackers do now work on IcedTea and/or OpenJDK.
>     So spiritually it is kind of part of the GNU Classpath project.
> Technically
>     this will be a project for IcedTea and probably go into OpenJDK from there
>     (if the student is willing to assign all his rights to Oracle).
>
> As the GNU Classpath maintainer it is up to you to decide.  In order to
> participate in GSOC under the GNU umbrella that project would need to be
> done under the aegis of GNU classpath.

I won't have time to mentor. But if others have time and feel the code
can be seen as part of the GNU Classpath project then I am not against
it. IcedTea can be seen as a offspring of the GNU Classpath community.
It would be better if OpenJDK participated themselves, but their
policies prevent them being acceptable to Google.

Cheers,

Mark