summer-of-code

GSOC idea - XBoard GTK Development

From: Nalin.x.Linux
Subject: GSOC idea - XBoard GTK Development
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 22:52:23 +0530

I am Nalin from kerala/india. I understand that XBoard needs a Gtk developer from there webpage.  And also it seems that XBoard Gtk demands for some more accessibility features. What i have noticed is that there is no navigation of pieces using arrow keys and also it does not help a visually challenged person to know current position of pieces in the board. it is also noted that ORCA(Screen Reader) does not right away announce the movement played by the opponent. So i would like to implement following to XBoard as a Part of GSOC 2014.

1 - Port XBoard-Gtk to Gtk3 (Considering bugs in XBoard-Gtk2)
2 - Made XBoard accessible for visually impaired.
3 - Make Fonts (pieces) movable using keyboard.

My experiences with GTK

Linux-Intelligent-Ocr-Solution
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/lios/
   https://github.com/Nalin-x-Linux/lios-3