summer-of-code

Re: GSOC2013 ClassPath, Port The GTK+ AWT to Gtk+3

From: Andïï
Subject: Re: GSOC2013 ClassPath, Port The GTK+ AWT to Gtk+3
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:59:51 +0100

On 9 April 2013 23:36, Farshad Muhammad
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently a fourth year computer science student at Carleton University
> (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada).
>
> I am applying for GSOC 2013 as a student and am searching for projects to
> try and build proposals for. This is my first time applying thus I dont
> really have much of an idea on where to start. I am specifically interested
> in porting the Gtk+ AWT support to Gtk+3. I have working knowledge of C and
> have used it for many different academic purposes (assignments, projects,
> etc etc). I would like to know what other tools should i try to familiarize
> myself with before trying to apply for this project, any starting pointers
> would be wonderful, and if there are any bug fixes / patches related to this
> project idea I could try my hand at to familiarize myself with the code
> base.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Farshad

My suggestion would be to checkout GNU Classpath and make sure you can
build it on your machine, as a first task.  The git repository is:

Checkout: $ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/classpath.git
Web Interface: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/classpath.git/
Savannah Project: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/classpath/

There's a step-by-step guide on the Gtk+ conversion at:

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.3/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html

Please feel free to mail me if you have further questions.

Thanks,
--
Andii :-)