summer-of-code

Re: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Detail

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Details
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:57:22 -0700

On 07/26/2012 12:28 PM, Jens Elsner wrote:
> Jose,
>
> thank you very much for your great work and effort to collect students,
> code and money for the GNU project! Although it's not quite over yet, so
> far it's been smooth and a great success for GNU Radio.
>
>> Google will pay for the travel expenses for two admins and/or mentors in
>> each org, as delegates.
>>
>> My intention is to reserve one of the slots for myself (consider it as a
>> little payment for the time/resources I am spending on administration
>> tasks).
>>
>> Apart from Jordi, anyone else is interested in the second slot?
>
> I have to disagree with you here: I think the fairest way to go about this
> is to have a random drawing among all interested active mentors for *both*
> slots. I don't see why any specific sub-organization should be preferred,
> do you?

I think it's a stretch to suggest that this amounts to preferring GNU
Radio over other GNU projects. He's not reserving himself a slot because
he's with GNU Radio, he's reserving himself a slot because he was the
org admin, which carries plenty of work.

Although, was he a mentor in addition to being an admin? If not, I'm not
certain that being an admin is actually as much work as being a mentor
is (depending on the student, and speaking as both a former org admin
and mentor). There is a fairly large amount of work at the beginning,
dealing with managing proposals and various admin, and then there's
usually very little work after that, with some small exceptions around
eval times and such.

-mjc