summer-of-code

Re: [IMPORTANT] irc meeting synthesis

From: Giuseppe Scrivano
Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] irc meeting synthesis
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:02:43 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Do I understand correctly that mentors only rate *their* proposals?

Yes, right, lest's do this at least till tomorrow.  So any proposal will
just have one vote.

> So, the raw output is this: if there is just one proposal for a project
> it will be automatically rated as "amazing", even if the mentor (and/or
> anybody else) doesn't have/take the time to rate it.
>
> Apprently I'm alone in thinking this is not a good approach, so let
> it be.  But this will just postpone the problem: when Google will say
> "Guys, you have 15 desired proposals and 11 amazing proposals, this is
> too much, we give you 8 slots", how will we proceed?

No, you are not alone, but we failed to find a better solution which
fits in a so short timeframe.  The problem is that we haven't much time
to define these two values, especially as it happens immediately after
Easter and some people might not even have access to internet.  We are
not the only one who are surprised by this schedule.

We will have a week later to rate proposals better, so we can aim to
have a "global" score of them and everyone is welcome to comment/vote as
many proposals as he/she likes.

I personally think that in any case it will be a good idea to give an
opportunity to small projects as to big ones but at least we will have
the chance to target the "desired" slots (assuming we get more slots
than the specified "amazing" ones) to better proposals.

Giuseppe