summer-of-code

Re: slots request

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: slots request
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 18:23:34 +0200

Hi Nikos,

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <address@hidden> writes:

> Wow. I could not think that someone could see that as negative. We just
> agree to disagree. It is a good thing that SoC allows helping the
> smaller projects.

Just to be clear: I don't have problems with small projects *at all*.
And I'm glad GSoC allow small projects to benefit from the whole program.

> The idea is to help the projects that wouldn't
> otherwise have the work-force to enhance their functionality and expand
> their community.

Well, if that were so, why would Google would care about selecting
organizations?  Aren't much of these organizations selected because
they are related to "big" projects, with big communities?

I think the idea is to sponsor students to work on something great
while umbrella organizations benefit from their work.  I don't think
there is a notion of "helping small project to boostrap", but I may
be wrong on this... pointer welcome.

> If you see it on another perspective what is the point
> of helping the strongest that already have big active communities?

My whole point is this: saying "we have 10 amazing proposals" because we
have 10 proposals contributing to 10 differents software does not sound
right.  IMHO whether a project is considered "amazing" or not should not
depend on whether there is another amazing proposal about the same piece
of software.

To me, the two important things to consider are the GNU project at a
whole (and how it will benefit from a proposal) and the proposal itself.

--
 Bastien