summer-of-code

Re: New Project Idea for GSoC

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: New Project Idea for GSoC
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 20:11:36 -0300

On 04/04/11 08:39, İlim Uğur wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to ask whether I can apply with a new idea for the GSoC
> that is not listed in the ideas page. (actually, even the application I
> was thinking of contributing to is not listed on the page)

Sure, the ideas page is just an *ideas* page to inspire potential
students. You can always propose ideas that are not listed there.

> The idea I have in mind is about WGet. I was thinking of adding metalink
> support to WGet. I was thinking of applying with a project for GDB, but
> coincidentally had the chance to hear some demands concerning the idea I
> just mentioned. Many GNU fans claimed they have been expecting such an
> improvement but have never seen anyone dealing with it, yet. So I
> thought I could use this idea for the GSoC, as both the idea is a
> valuable and useful one and the scope of the project is suitable for the
> timeline we will be given.

You should contact the wget[0] maintainers in the first place. Discuss
your idea with them and check if some active developer is able to mentor
you.

Since they are not listed on the projects list, that could probably mean
that nobody has volunteered for mentoring. It could also mean that they
haven't thought about GSoC.

> Since there is not much time left, I could use an urgent reply. I look
> forward to hearing from you.

Contact them ASAP. Meanwhile, you can write your proposal and submit it
through melange, and we can keep looking for a mentor.

[0] http://gnu.org/s/wget
--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva

http://polignu.org