summer-of-code

Kawa GSoC

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Kawa GSoC
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 12:45:22 -0800

I'm considering submitting Kawa to GSoC.
Kawa web-page: http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/
Ideas page: http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Ideas-and-tasks.html

I'm trying to evaluate whether to submit Kawa as its own
(very small) "mentoring organization" or go via GNU.  For
various reasons going via GNU seems to make sense.  However, I have
one concern: The 2010 guideline say students must:

4. Make a copyright assignment or disclaimer to the Free Software Foundation. Your mentor will send you the necessary forms.
5. Obtain a copyright disclaimer from your school, if necessary.

This is not appropriate for Kawa, which does not require
copyright assignments or disclaimers, and which in any case is
not copyrighted by the FSF.  The FSF does not require either of
GNU projects, at least in the past, when Kawa became a GNU project.

Would it be possible to change the text, perhaps to something like:
4. Most projects require you to make a copyright assignment or disclaimer to the Free Software Foundation, in which case your mentor will send you the necessary forms.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/