summer-of-code

Slots for GNU, multiply-accepted students

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Slots for GNU, multiply-accepted students
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:28:11 -0700

Hi all,

For once, GNU has received all the slots we asked for to meet the number
of proposals we wished to accept, right off the bat (students, please
don't ask if this means you).

If any mentors have a proposal that they wish to accept but which is
currently marked "Pending rejectance", please tell me now, so I can deal
with it ASAP (I don't believe this is the case, though).

Regarding the duplicate-accepted students resolution phase: if we end up
having students who have been accepted by multiple projects, and they
wind up going to one of the other projects, leaving us with an unfilled
slot, then my default action will be to donate that slot back to Google
(with the request that they give priority to other needful GNU projects
that aren't under the GNU umbrella, such as GCC, GIMP or GNOME), UNLESS
I'VE HEARD OTHERWISE FROM THAT PROJECT. So, if you've accepted one
student over another due to limited resources or conflicting projects,
but would have accepted a different student had your first choice not
been available, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, so I can respond appropriately in
the event that your first choice becomes unavailable. I need this
information sooner rather than later.

Please note that this is a PUBLIC mailing list, so don't use the list to
communicate this information. Email Paolo and myself directly.

(There is often actually plenty of time to notice when there are
multiple-accepted students, which gives me the opportunity to contact
the mentors involved for feedback; however, there is also always the
possibility for last-minute student acceptance conflicts, which can
arise from the resolution process itself, in which case there will be no
time for me to contact anyone, which is why I need this information up
front.)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/