summer-of-code

Re: Desired Slot Count

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Desired Slot Count
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:13:06 -0400

* Karl Berry had this to say on [09 Apr 2009, 16:38:57 -0500]:
[snip]

>     In other words, all sub-organisations -- please state, how many
>     promising projects do you have?
>
> Right.  Otherwise I will do my best to review all the applications and
> make an estimate later today, but the prospective mentors are of course
> the best judge of whether an application has a decent chance of success.

For Screen, there are three applications for the same project: Embedding
scripting support. The three applications, however, are each for a
different language (lua, perl and python). In order of my preference:

 * Rui Guo (lua): He contacted me on IRC and via email before submitting
        the application. We discussed about the project, and he sent his
        plans in the mainling list. I think he understands what's involved in
        the project, and I think he is capable of the task.
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/firemeteor/t123840207978

 * Ivan Kovac (perl): He also contacted me on IRC before submitting the
        application. He sounded like someone who would have to learn a lot to
        complete the project. And, it appeared he just might indeed learn
        enough to do a significant part of the project.
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/kenny47/t123876332987

 * Björn Påhlsson (python): He sounds like a pretty capable applicant.
        But the application is pretty skimpy, and I don't know how much he is
        going to end up contributing at the end. He hasn't contacted me or
        the mailing list about the project.
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/belorn/t123877691993

So, for Screen, I would request one slot. If it's possible to allow a
second one (for example, if someone gives up a slot later on), that'd be
pretty awesome too ;)

I will invite all mentors to take a look at the proposals, if you can,
and leave comments/suggestions etc. (and rank too!). Because even if we
don't accept any of these students, it would be a good source of
information when the scripting support is eventually added to Screen.

Cheers,
Sadrul