Re: How to restart x11/StumpWM from a different tty.

From: Lionel Flandrin
Subject: Re: How to restart x11/StumpWM from a different tty.
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 18:58:40 +0000

You can set the DISPLAY environment variable to connect to X from any terminal. In bash/zsh this should do the trick:

export DISPLAY=:0

Then your commands will work.

I have a dirty trick to handle WM crashes: instead of starting the stumpwm binary directly I use a shell script that does something like:

while [ ! -f /tmp/stopstump ]
do
     stumpwm
     sleep 1
done

This way if stumpwm crashes or freeze and I have have to kill it it's restarted automatically without killing my X session and running programs. If I really want to quit the WM and end the session I have to "touch /tmp/stopstump" first.

A bit ugly, but it served me well.

--
Lionel Flandrin