[STUMP] window-send-string doesn't work with all apps

From: Dimitri Minaev
Subject: [STUMP] window-send-string doesn't work with all apps
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 15:16:34 +0400

Hi,

Recently I replaced my usual terminal, Konsole, with Terminator and immediately noticed that my Stumpwm hotkeys which are supposed to insert various pieces of text to the current window, don't work anymore.

Here's a trivial example:
(defcommand insert-date () ()
    (window-send-string (multiple-value-bind
                          (s m h date month year)
                          (get-decoded-time)
(format nil "~d-~2,'0d-~2,'0d" year month date))))

This function inserts current date to Konsole, Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice and many other applications, but doesn't work with Terminator, Xterm or Gnome-terminal. I tried to play with GTK_IM_MODULE, but it didn't help either.

Is there a way to make window-send-string to work with these stubborn terminals?