Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 136, Issue 9

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 136, Issue 9
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 08:49:47 +0300

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 11:00:33AM +0800, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> On 26 January 2017 at 03:21, Jean Louis <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Not sure if my email went out, due to network breaking on my side.
> >
> > CLISP has readline built-in, it is well documented and GNU project,
> > similar like GCL (which I currently cannot compile). I do not miss
> > myself any feature, that is very specific personal opinion, you may
> > loose it.
> >
> > Matter is similar to choice of the shell, like zsh, bash, or something
> > like that. I use CLISP often as main "shell" and working environment.
> >

> Fair enough, but just because you use CLISP as a terminal doesn't mean that
> your StumpWM has to use the same implementation.

It that logical? StumpWM was running on Common Lisp, now it is running
on one implementation, specifically. Does it deviate from standard or
what is the technical reason behind it, that I may understand?

> After all, I use zsh as my shell, and I don't expect my WM to run in
> it. :-)

That is Lisp, not just Window Manager, and also that statement is not
logical, especially to StumpWM, the programmable window manager.

> Also, you might want to look into using Emacs and SLIME. This is how
> pretty much all Lisp programmers use it, and this is also the reason
> why almost none of the major Lisp implementations has any line
> editing facility.

The reason why GCL and CLISP use readline is due to their licensing,
they are compatible with the readline library. SBCL cannot implement
the readline due to licensing issues, and so many other
implementations.

Somebody writing about that, should always know about Emacs and SLIME,
and I am certainly using it, however your impression of how Lisp
should be used does not make REPL un-usable, quite contrary,
especially with the readline and completion built-in REPL in CLISP is
increasing productivity, as one cannot do everything with Emacs.

Jean