Re: [STUMP] StumpWM 1.0.0 Released!

From: Javier Olaechea
Subject: Re: [STUMP] StumpWM 1.0.0 Released!
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 19:49:05 -0500

One can still use the mailing list to report bugs  and submit code contributions.

On Jan 25, 2017 14:54, "Jean Louis" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 01:07:38PM -0500, David Bjergaard wrote:
> > It would be nice that I don't need any Github account and that
> > development is on some non-proprietary software.
> You're welcome to fork the 1.0 release and continue developing it using whatever
> VCS you prefer. You're also welcome to send critical patches to the 1.0 release
> to this mailing list for the benefit of others. You may even leverage git for
> some of these features:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9630774/how-to-make-pull-requests-without-a-github-account
>
> I don't know what you mean by "proprietary software" stuwmpwm itself is GPL2,
> github supports free software even if its a SaaS, as mentioned above you can
> contribute without supporting or buying into github. CLISP and SBCL have
> different licenses, but the benefits of SBCL outweigh the benefits of CLISP on
> every other count. Further, neither CLISP or SBCL are proprietary software.

Yes, I know. I referred to Github, not the other software. I like that
Stumpwm is hosted at nongnu or gnu, whatever. Mailing list is open to
everybody. But bug reporting on Github is not.

I support free software. And often I support programmers with some
money contributions.

How can I appreciate the Github business model earning moneys on free
software, while not making Github free software? Read:
http://tom.preston-werner.com/2011/11/22/open-source-everything.html
-- like "The GPL is not focused on freedom. It's too long. Too many
restrictions", or "Notice that everything we keep closed has specific
business value that could be compromised by giving it away to our
competitors. -- source: Tom Preston-Werner's" from
http://tom.preston-werner.com/2011/11/22/open-source-everything.html

Here is one analysis of Github:
https://mikegerwitz.com/about/githubbub

Free software project shall not be on Github. There is Gitlab and
there are many other possibilities. Finally, why not host oneself?
Even VPS hosting today is so inexpensive.

Jean