Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib

From: z_axis
Subject: Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:02:18 +0800

I agree !  ASDF is enough for stumpwm.

在 Tue, 18 Feb 2014 00:15:20 +0800,Diogo F. S. Ramos <address@hidden> 写道:

I think the packaging discussion is larger and more expansive than the
discussion about contrib (and we don't have to solve all the pieces of
packaging now,) but I want to make sure that there's a path for people
who use stump but *don't* have quicklisp installed to be able to access
some of contrib (particularly if contrib ends up containing a
significant amount of Stump functionality.)

I too would like to not have quicklisp as dependency for modules.

I'm not a CL expert, so please help, but for the modules themselves, we
can use CL's package system so each module declares a package to live
in, so there is no symbol clashing.  We can even say that each module
package name should start with `stumpwm/' or something, so we can
differentiate StumpWM modules from other packages that are loaded in the
same Lisp environment.

As was mentioned earlier, if we want to track dependencies, we can
leverage ASDF and let it deal with it for us.  Now, a StumpWM module has
at least two files: module.asd and module.lisp.

So my points are:

1. Don't have quicklisp as a dependency
2. Each module define a package
3. Use ASDF for dependency checking