Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib

From: Sam Kleinman
Subject: Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 09:41:57 -0500

On Monday, February 03 2014, 02:54:06, David Bjergaard wrote:

> The antialiased fonts will not be included in 0.9.8, but they will be
> merged into the main branch after 0.9.8 is released.  We'll also be
> migrating to git sub-modules for the contrib directory around that time.
> Since that will likely break rc files, it will probably be targeted at
> a 1.0 release.  Its not clear what other features will be incorporated
> at that time.

1. I think sub modules aren't even really the right answer here. Just a
   separate contrib repository, should do the trick. I'm also under the
   impression that the API, such as it is, for extensions is reasonably
   stable. It might be good to provide extensions with a way of saying
   "I require at least version y of stumpwm."

2. I don't think it's correct that pulling contrib out will break
   configuration files: you have to explicitly state the path of your
   contrib directory, so it seems that if we update the installation/build
   process correctly (which shouldn't be that hard) nothing will be
   broken. Basically: this seems like a really solvable packaging
   problem.

Cheers,
sam

--