Re: [STUMP] Please consider removing module.lisp.in.

From: Ben Spencer
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Please consider removing module.lisp.in.
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:57:40 +0000

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:33:23PM +0800, Desmond O. Chang wrote:
> So that I can load stumpwm locally once downloaded.
>
> Please consider using ASDF:SYSTEM-RELATIVE-PATHNAME or
> ASDF:SYSTEM-SOURCE-DIRECTORY.

Consider it considered.

Personally I would like to ditch autotools altogether and have a pure
lisp build system.  But it would have to duplicate all the facilities
that autotools currently provides to packagers.

We formerly used asdf to locate the contrib dir, see
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/stumpwm.git/commit/?id=0d65411c13e2cd10286f6706f87cd5604249298e
for the relevant commit and
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/stumpwm-devel/2010-03/msg00011.html
for explanation.

We could perhaps compromise by using asdf to determine the default
contrib dir at compile time, depending on how important the ability to
override it with a configure switch is.

Note that even if this obstacle were removed you'd still have to
contend with version.lisp.in.  In the meantime, you can just run
autoconf and configure (with pretty much any options) the first time
you check out, then forget about it.  This is what I do.

While we're on the subject of build process wishlists, I also want to
ditch the bundled asdf and come up with some nice Quicklisp-based
build instructions for the README (it currently recommends
asdf-install).

Ben