[STUMP] undefine-key fails

From: Zrajm C Akfohg
Subject: [STUMP] undefine-key fails
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 16:51:43 +0200

I want to do undefine-key on most of the default keybindings, so that
I can set up my own without totally cluttering the help keybindings
shown with <prefix> ?. However this doesn't work.

I note that I have "i" bound to the default "info", so i try to run
(undefine-key *root-map* (kbd "i")) at the "Eval:" prompt, but
subsequent <prefix> ? shows that the key has not been unbound.

If I instead try rebinding the key, e.g. using (define-key *root-map*
(kbd "i") "echo Hello") then the key sequence "<prefix> i" will cause
the string "Hello" to be displayed. And "<prefix> ?" displays *two*
different entries for "i" -- namely my "echo Hello" as well as the
original "info".

Now, if I undefine "i", the last "echo Hello" is removed, and only one
"i" is listed in "<prefix> ?" (the original "info" command). The info
command also gets invoked if I press "<prefix> i" at this time.

Is this expected behaviour? If so, how do I undefine any of the
build-it keyboard commands?

/zrajm