Re: [STUMP] non-english keyboard layout

From: Carlos Konstanski
Subject: Re: [STUMP] non-english keyboard layout
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 15:02:26 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Shawn Betts wrote:

Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:29:01 +0300
From: Shawn Betts <address@hidden>
To: StumpWM-devel <address@hidden>

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Carlos Konstanski
<address@hidden> wrote:
I recently switched my locale and keyboard layout to German
iso-8859-15.  When I do a C-t ! to run a shell command, I cannot enter
certain characters.  For example: ~ is moved to where the ] key is.
You have to hit M-] twice to get the character because it's one of
those that, if hit only once, will modify the keystroke that comes
after it.  The sequence M-] a gives you ã.

Anyway, is there a quick and easy answer to why the little stump
minibuffer doesn't obey the same keystrokes as everything else?  Or do
I need to dig?

All the minibuffer stuff is in input.lisp. Specifically,
input-self-insert is probably what you're interested in. It uses
xlib:keysym->character which probably needs to be replaced with our
own function. I guess what should happen is the keysyms in
keysyms.lisp should be augmented with the characters they can be
converted to. Then converting a keysym to a character becomes trivial.
Quite possibly problems may arise when loading the augmented
keysyms.lisp in different lisps if they don't all support the same
characters. Perhaps if that's a problem they should be unicode numbers
that are converted to characters using the lisp implementation's
conversion functionality.

That's just my 5 minute assessment. I'm open to other ideas, of course.

-Shawn

I'm feeling the fire, wanna get in there and work on this.  Looking
for some tips on how to develop stumpwm.  My main question is: how do
you run it in a dev environment?  Xnest perhaps?

Carlos