Re: [STUMP] Logitech G15 keyboard keysyms

From: TC-Rucho
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Logitech G15 keyboard keysyms
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 06:13:56 -0200

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 08:35 -0600, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 23:45:17 -0200 TC-Rucho <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> T> Hello list,
> T>    I just installed Stumpwm for the first time today, found that my G keys
> T> were not working, actually, Prefix h k did not show anything since
> T> stumpwm uses keysyms instead of keycodes to handle keys.
> T>    I should say that there are at least 2 versions of the G15 keyboard,
> T> one I'm aware of is an azerty keyboard with blue backlight, and the
> T> other (the one I have) has a qwerty layout with orange backlight.
> T> Anyway, what I needed here was a keysym for every special key so used
> T> the XF86Launch and Audio keysyms that should be available on every box.
>
> T>    As of now, all these keys are perfectly working and labeled Gx.
>
> T>    I'm sending the snippet of code I used to get these working, I know
> T> it's not done the right way but since I couldn't get
> T> XLIB:CHANGE-KEYBOARD-MAPPING working in time I just used xmodmap.
>
> T>    About the snippet usage, well, just add
> T> (load #P"path/to/g15conf.lisp")  in your .stumpwmrc and you're ready to
> T> go.
>
> Have you seen contrib/g15-keysyms.lisp?  I submitted it with the M* and
> LCD* buttons as well.  I use the g15daemon program to feed the keysyms
> to Linux; are you doing it differently?

Yes, I checked it and was not enough to get this model working. I'm
using g15daemon too, it what makes these keys available. Without using
it they don't get a keycode at all (xev would not display anything,
neither keycode, nor symbol, nor keysym, like if they didn't exist.)

> My G15 keyboard has the blue backlight (orange behind the scroll
> lock/caps lock/num lock indicators) and a QWERTY layout.  I don't know
> the full lineup of models, I thought they were all QWERTY.

Aye, there are different models and they slightly differ in their way of
working. G15daemon successfully handles a few of them, but with the
model I have, it's just not enough to get the extra keys keysym'd.
(however, they are given keycodes). I should also point that as of
version 1.2.7 g15dameon didn't work with this model at all. I am not
aware of how well other versions work between the one I just mentioned
and the 1.9.5.3 (the one I'm using atm) because I jumped to the latest
available back then after realising 1.2.7 was unable to handle this
keyboard.

I have G keys, media keys (and clock...) working right now. Without that
snippet of code loaded in my .stumpwmrc it would appear to Stumpwm as if
these keys were not being pressed at all since it gives them a keysym,
while g15daemon doesn't.

> T> PD: If anyone has a working example of how to use
> T> XLIB:CHANGE-KEYBOARD-MAPPING I'll be glad to see it and to rewrite the
> T> code snippet using that instead of xmodmap. (hints are also welcome)
>
> Sorry, I haven't done this.

No worries (:

--
TC-Rucho