[STUMP] present experiences with stumpwm

From: Rohan Nicholls
Subject: [STUMP] present experiences with stumpwm
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:47:25 +0200

Hey all,

Thanks for all the improvements to stumpwm, and thanks to sean for the
help on irc.

I thought I would just let you know that with sbcl 1.0.12 not only is
the gnome integration stuff (useful for some of the crap I use: got to
know what the temperature is back in the motherland ;)) fabulous, but it
has now been running for 5 days or so with suspended periods without a
hitch.  I was having more problems with unsuspending with ratpoison,
and compiz.  I would point out that this is with the ./configure &&
make version of stumpwm, so no slime running.

Really impressed, as far as I am concerned xmonad is getting the press
that stumpwm deserves.  sbcl/clisp are waaaay easier to install and
even compile from source than getting xmonad going with a binary
version of ghc.  I might have been missing something but automatic
dependency handling seemed beyond the haskell ken, certainly none of
the instructions mentioned anything.  All the stuff (like gnome
support) that everyone is raving about xmonad, have been quietly added
to stumpwm without fanfare. Very cool.

Also noticed that popups are handled better, and noone is allowed to
escape their frame which is very nice.

Thanks for all the hard work,

Rohan