[STUMP] Ratpoison commands to stumpwm

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: [STUMP] Ratpoison commands to stumpwm
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:57:20 +0200

'ratpoison -c whatever' is supposed to work with stumpwm too, but I
found that it doesn't on my machine (a powerpc), since ratpoison
doesn't properly specify the endianness of the window id, and stumpwm
always assumes that it's little-endian.

I believe the attached patches are correct.  My testing gives the
following results; it would be good if someone could verify this on a
little-endian machine.

- Any combination of unpatched and patched ratpoison as window manager
  or client gives successful result.
- Unpatched ratpoison sending a command to unpatched stumpwm gives
  harmless failure.
- Unpatched ratpoison sending a command to patched stumpwm gives even
  more harmless failure: stumpwm ignores the request, as it has no
  sure way of knowing the correct endianness.
- Patched ratpoison sending a command to unpatched stumpwm makes
  stumpwm crash, because stumpwm gets one 32-bit value where it
  expected four 8-bit values.
- Patched ratpoison sending a command to patched stumpwm gives
  successful result.

It is unfortunate that an unpatched stumpwm might crash, but I think
getting this right is worth the transition pain.

Magnus