Re: Extension for speechd-el

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Extension for speechd-el
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 20:48:55 +0200

    ES> I'm new here and first let me say I like my first impression
    ES> using speechd-el.

Hi,

I’ll be glad if speechd-el serves you well.

    ES> Before writing on my own, I'd like to know if there are
    ES> extension already exist for speechd-el. Specifically I'm looking
    ES> for company and helm.

Support for the concepts needed to make Helm and Company speaking is
missing in speechd-el and as far as I know nobody is working on them.
It is something that has been requested before and it would be great if
you could implement it.

It is important to keep on mind that speechd-el is designed to not need
any specific extensions and to read most stuff reasonably out of the
box.  Big advantages of this approach are that speechd-el rarely breaks
with new Emacs versions, that an implemented feature works almost
everywhere where it is used and that speechd-el code remains small.

For example, in case of Helm, rather than thinking how speechd-el should
react to particular Helm commands, it’s better to think how to fix the
problem that speechd-el doesn’t say anything when text properties change
in a popup window in response to an interactive command.  Similarly with
Company.

Regards,
Milan