Re: A little introduction and a question about building speech-dispatche

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: A little introduction and a question about building speech-dispatcher
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 11:15:42 +0200

Francisco Tissera, le dim. 08 août 2021 10:36:54 +0200, a ecrit:
> In Debian experimental, there was a package called speech-dispatcher-0.11.0
> rc2 or something along those lines, and when I installed it, espeak-ng
> started acting more like I want it to, and so I want to make that happen
> here on Ubuntu as well,

Ok, so what you can do is just rebuild the debian package on Ubuntu,
that will be much simpler for the integration with other packages. You
can install these packages:

devscripts
wget
dpkg-dev
build-essential

then run this to get the Debian source:
dget
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-debug/20210617T024426Z/pool/main/s/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher_0.11.0~rc2-1.dsc

If it didn't unpack the tarballs, you can use

dpkg-source -x speech-dispatcher_0.11.0~rc2-1.dsc

Then you can build:

cd speech-dispatcher-0.11.0~rc2
dpkg-buildpackage -b

and that will build all the .deb files, which you can install by hand,
the simplest is probably to just install all those that you already have
installed:

cd ..
sudo dpkg -iO *.deb

> 1. What does the import-nvda.sh script do, and do I want to run it?

That's actually a leftover. I have now removed the script.

> 2. When applying make install, should i do it as root, or as normal user?

Ah, yes, "make install" usually needs to be run as root.

Samuel