Re: flite configuration

From: Nicolas Graner
Subject: Re: flite configuration
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 19:29:35 +0100

Hello Didier,

your flite-generic module definitely helped me, thanks a lot.

I had some issues with the rate and pitch parameters, I don't know if
that's the caveats you alluded to.

SPD's "rate" parameter (from -100 to 100) has to be converted to a
"stretch" parameter, where a larger value means slower speech. Since the
generic module only allows linear conversions, I decided to map 0
(normal speed) to 1 and -100 (very slow) to 2, which means +100 (very
fast) maps to 0. This is done with these two parameters:

GenericRateMultiply -1
GenericRateAdd 1

On the other hand, SPD's "pitch" should be mapped to a mean frequency.
Unfortunately, the pitch is relative (-100, to 100) while the frequency
is absolute, and its normal value if different for each voice. I don't
know how a pitch of 0 could be mapped to the normal frequency for each
voice and other values adjusted accordingly.
At the moment I've changed the GenericExecuteSynth command to ignore the
pitch completely, but that's not very satisfactory.

Nicolas