Code reindent

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: Code reindent
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:46:19 -0700

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:43:40PM -0800, David Csercsics wrote:
> Pressing keypad 8 twice quickly will give you the indentation of the
> current line in Speakup. I'm a vi user usually but I have messed around
> with emacs in the past and might bother with it again just because I
> got put off by the strange lisp dialect so never really put that much
> effort into learning the thing.  I've always been told by people
> visually inspecting my code to use tabs instead of spaces because
> they're easier to work with and they don't get the indentation wrong
> if they're displayed in a different font. I would think that it should
> be possible to make sure emacs doesn't mix tabs and spaces for
> indentation because that seems like a sily thing to do. I'd file a bug
> if one of the auto indent modes was doing that. But then how would a
> screenreader user know that tabs and spaces were being mixed with tabs
> for indents unless they want to go review the whitespace by character
> but I don't think I've ever had a reason to do that. I just use vim's
> auto indent features and then nobody complains about my indentation.

Yeah, I forgotabout speakup's indent notification; you have to do that
on every line you scroll across though.

Anyway, I think emacs does that mixed space and tabs thing to line up
indented if statements and other blocks plus sometimes with that
indentation, the number of columns to indent don't equal a multiple of
the number of spaces in a tab stop.  Like if the typical tab stop is
eight spaces and you want to indent 12, then you would end up with a
tab plus 4 more spaces.  Of course, this can be remedied by setting
the tab stop size to 4 chars in this case.  I think emacs can be
configured to do just that.  Guess I better read up on emacs' indent
stuff and see how flexible it really is.