Festival not Showing up via Speech-Dispatcher (Was: Speechd-el i18n)

From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Subject: Festival not Showing up via Speech-Dispatcher (Was: Speechd-el i18n)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:41:39 +0300

From: "Jan Buchal" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
> is it not better use finish voice for festival?
Yes, I would currently prefer the Suopuhe Festival module to eSpeak even in
speechd-el I've just sent the eSpeak author feedback about the Finnish().
HOwever, I did not get Festival working. The thing is Festival shows fine
via Gnome-Speech in Orca. But when I use speech-dispatcher in Orca, only
eSPeak is listed. Naturally trying to switch to Festival in speechd-el says
nothing, too.

I have edited the speech dispatcher config file uncommenting the line to add
festival and have checked the Festival config under modules, too, though
there was very little that's relevant to end users in the latter file. What
could be wrong? I keep reading about having to auto start a Festival server
but how to do it using Gnome sessions and isn't it already running? I
guessed, without checking, that the server must be running, since Festival
can speak via Gnome-speech. I have not checked the processes since there's
no hotkey for quickly .launching the Gnome task manager. and I Just haven't
gone and looked into the system monitor yet. I should have, on second
thought.

Hope this clarifies.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka T?til?
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music: