Encoding of key names

From: Lukas Loehrer
Subject: Encoding of key names
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:48:30 +0200

Hi Hynek,

Hynek Hanke writes ("Re: Encoding of key names"):
>Currently however Speech dispatcher is not checking
> the content of the messages it passes to the synthesizers, so what you
> are experiencing is likely a bug in the client application. (We should
> probably reconsider this decision and check for UTF-8 validity of
> strings as well as to make sure key names are at least well formatted
> and if not, reject them right on input from the client.)

I do very much support this. g_utf8_validate() can be used for this.

> Could you please write more about in what circumstances are you geting
> non-UTF input?

For example, in speechd-el, if I enter an accented character like ?
(e-acute) or ? (o-umlaut) I get:

module_speak("?", 1, MSGTYPE_KEEY)

This is with emacs 22.1.1 using the latin-1 language environment.

The same effect can be achieved by using the python bindings.

Best regards, Lukas