spamass-milt-list

Warning: sendmail macro "b"

From: Dan O'Brien
Subject: Warning: sendmail macro "b"
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:06:30 -0400

I'm getting an occasional warning from the milter:

May 23 07:18:00 sweep2 spamass-milter[2323]: Could not retrieve sendmail macro "b"!.  Please add it to confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT for better spamassassin results

So I look at my sendmail.mc and find that I have no confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT.  So I go to the sendmail documentation and try to figure out what the defaults are.  (Actually, I got another cup of coffee somewhere in there -- it's before 8.)  The default macros passed to the milter after a RCPT TO: are {rcpt_mailer}, {rcpt_host}, and {rcpt_addr}.  ('b' is apparently the current time?)

Here's were I'm fuzzy (beyond where I'm expected to be before 8am, even accounting for inadequate coffee consumption):

1.  What's the correct syntax in sendmail mc for the addition of the 'b' macro?  I used the line below with apparent success:

        define(`confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT', `{rcpt_mailer}, {rcpt_host}, {rcpt_addr}, {b}')dnl

2.  After I put the line in, I did a more thorough search of the logs and there are very few occurrences of the warning I'm reporting here.  Am I on a snipe hunt?  Is is possible that the warning is message related, rather than configuration related (where I'd expect to get the warning most of the time instead of occasionally)?

I had a crash of my "physical" mail filtering server (bad hard drive, sloppy RAID cage disconnects one good drive while removing failed drive resulting in TWO drives missing from the array -- bad scene), and I'm in the process of rebuilding it.  Some of the software's getting updated (I had been using milter 0.3.0), but I don't have the old logs to see if this error was there all along or how often it was occurring.

Incidentally, I highly recommend VMware's FREE VMware Server product.  I've used workstation for a couple of years now and LOVE it.  The VMware Server allows you to do hosted production virtual machines on Linux or Windows.  Really pulled my a** out of the fire when the "real" filtering server failed.  I'm in the process of re-architecting so there's a backup server on virtual hardware doing MySQL replication of user preferences.