spamass-milt-list

Re: spamass-milter flags, where to include?

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: spamass-milter flags, where to include?
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 01:05:47 -0500

In the last episode (May 14), Mooky Mooksgill said:
> I look forward to the new script. Does it require a new
> spamass-milter, or that I upgrade any other component?

Nope; you can just drop it into rc.d.

> Since I'm now dropping spam above 15, what are the implications?
>
> Mail from our ISP arrives on the server via pop3 with fetchmail,
> spamass-milter/clamav/and sendmail deliver it to local user accounts
> on the server, users then query their accounts via qpopper with
> outlook.
>
> The filtering server does not resolve with DNS, I seem to be getting
> bounces from the bounces that the -r 15 sends.

Yeah, it's a quandry.  You either bounce the message, possibly causing
other bounces because of forged headers, or you silently drop the
message, possibly causing headaches for an innocent user whose message
somehow happens to score that high, and the message neither makes it to
its destination nor bounces.

I was going to suggest using "-r 15 -b devnull", where devnull is a
local alias pointing to /dev/null, but that will silently drop all
spam, not just high-scoring spam.  I may have to rethink the
interactions between -r, -b, and -B.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden