social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Diaspora?

From: Laurent Eschenauer
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Diaspora?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:59:47 +0200

> Right now we have a Ruby on Rails prototype that communicates with HTTP GET
> calls that get encrypted JSON blocks, and friend requests with PUT calls.
> For the real thing, we're talking about XMPP as our first between-node
> interface, but running an XMPP server might be a little heavy.  We
> definitely think that defining http routes is a lightweight way provide pull
> access to data.

You should have a look at http://onesocialweb.org (fully XMPP based).
Our approach supports both a hub&spoke model (intelligence and data at
the server) and a P2P one (the end resource is where the stuff is),
and you could easily layer XMPP E2E on top of it for encryption.

Federation is live, with a dozen servers having joined and a couple
third party developers building clients and additional server plugins.

We also recognize the need for a lightweight HTTP based API and as
soon as someone proposes a good HTTP based flow (and we are looking
forward to the future Buzz API), we'll implement. So feel free to get
in touch if you have ideas/feedback.

Cheers,

Laurent