slacktools-dev

Re: [Slacktools-dev] Links to related tools

From: Paulo Abrantes
Subject: Re: [Slacktools-dev] Links to related tools
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:33:26 +0100

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:54:46 +0100
"sokoot" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all.

Hello,

> [snip]
> That package manager should do the regular things
> like install, remove, etc. but also check for dependencies.

Depency checking is a "regular" thing expected in a package manager,
at least I see it as a regular one.

> I don't know yet
> if it is possible to do that check locally, maybe from the makefiles or
> something, but if it is, we should adopt it instead of a server checking
> thing.

It's possible but not trivial, as a simple connection to a server and retrieving
deppencies. You may try to check for depencies analyzing the configure script
and makefile, though, it might not be so simple as it seems, since you really
don't have a "standard" to define what is needed. You probably would try to
run a regex check in the makefiles, now imagine someone gives an extra space, or
makes the script in other language that is not english... We just got fsck'ed.

>Oh, of course this package manager should work with tar.gz, bz2.gz,

.tar.bz2 you mean :)
Well I do agree with you due to a simple reason, bzip compreension algorithm, is
better than gzip so using that kind of compression we'll be helping users that
use an analog modem, since they'll not spend so much time downloading packages.

> [snip]

Regards,

P. Abrantes AKA Ghost_Rider

        Computer Science Student @
        Instituto Superior Tecnico
          (http://www.ist.utl.pt)

This email fortune cookie:

I've run DOOM more in the last few days than
I have the last few months. I just love debugging
;-) -- Linus Torvalds