sks-devel

Re: Pool dried up

From: Todd Fleisher
Subject: Re: Pool dried up
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:25:13 -0700

>>> 2sks.pod01.fleetstreetops.com <http://sks.pod01.fleetstreetops.com>[@]
>>> 3sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com <http://sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com>[@]
>
> BTW it has just happened again:
>
> 1 pgpkeys.eu[@]
> 2 pgpkeys.uk[@]
> 3 sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com[@]
>
>>> Looking at the cached metadata it appears that when the spider ran,
>>> pod02.fleetstreetops nodes was unavailable, as was pgpkeys.co.uk
>>> <http://pgpkeys.co.uk> (the domain registration has expired).
>> I can’t speak for pgpkeys.co.uk <http://pgpkeys.co.uk>, but I have not seen
>> any issues with sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com
>> <http://sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com> (nor hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
>> <http://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net>, which it powers) today.
>
> Apologies, I didn't mean to cast doubt on the reliability of your node, but
> rather on that of the spider. It does not maintain much of a historical
> record, and so depends on a single measurement per node each hour for its
> operation. This makes it very vulnerable to transient issues, such as
> connection timeouts. One dropped connection, and 90% of the pool disappears
> for an hour, even if all the nodes stay up.

No worries. I was neither offended nor trying to dispute  that at times the
pools run thin (if not fully bottom out). I was just trying to keep the things
in perspective. My nodes also suffer from issues periodically and as a result I
have seen issues where they are non-responsive at times. This usually isn’t
visible to the public on account of the load balanced setup.

> There are a few interlocking design issues at work here IMO, none of which
> are the responsibility of individual operators.

Indeed.

-T