sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] [openpgp-email] Keyservers and GDPR

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] [openpgp-email] Keyservers and GDPR
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 10:50:07 +0000

> On 7 Nov 2018, at 10:16, Yegor Timoshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> World-writable storage is problematic even if there is no search.
> Proof of work and some operator-controllable data removal
> mechanism (like opt-in key blacklists) can help limit this attack
> vector.
>
> Storing immutable data, distributed recon, proof of work, that
> sounds like something a blockchain should do to me.

More evidence that blockchain is a solution in search of a problem! :-)

Proof of work verification provides little benefit over cryptographic
verification. If you have already generated a valid signature, that is in
itself a proof of work. The only reason you would also use hashcash is if you
wanted to increase the difficulty of the work beyond what the cryptography
itself provides. But hashcash only works if it is possible to find a difficulty
level that impedes abuse while not significantly affecting legitimate use. It
may stop people uploading warez but it can’t prevent cheap vandalism.